Manufacturers of cameras and video recorders that support Ivideon’s service
What does it mean if an IP camera supports Ivideon?
First of all, let’s start with what an IP camera is, and what issues come up when using one. It has a distinctive feature: The camera transmits a video stream in digital format through an Ethernet network or a Wi-Fi channel.
To access a digital surveillance camera, we need to connect with it directly, using its IP address on the network. Here is where the following dangers come up:
- A path to a networked camera carries known risks, since the password for accessing it and the video itself are transmitted openly without encryption, while the camera’s address can be determined with simple scanning.
- Most local computer networks are built so that it’s not possible to connect from the Internet to a camera on an address within the network.
- Transmitting HD-quality video requires a high-speed channel, but on wireless and mobile networks the volume and speed of data transmission can be very limited.
This makes it harder to get video data from a camera through the Internet in real time (with minimal delay). It’s hard to transmit video to a large audience, because when a camera is accessed it sends a separate copy of the video to each user: the more viewers, the greater the load on the camera itself and on the data-transmission channels.
Ivideon solves these problems by using programs — firmware — built into an IP camera for initial video processing. Ivideon firmware resolves all the difficulties described:
- It provides security by encrypting all the data transmitted from a camera.
- Access to a camera happens through the Ivideon cloud — no direct access by IP address is needed.
- A camera transmits video only once and only by request, while the cloud broadcasts it at the needed level of quality.
- Transmitting the video does not require a separate computer: a camera with support for Ivideon is an independent participant in a video-surveillance system.
Connect an IP camera with Ivideon service to a network that connects to the Internet, and link it to your Ivideon account. Now you can watch video from the camera anywhere in the world that has Internet access, and you can also use the service’s other features.